By James Ker-Lindsay
Read Online or Download An Island in Europe: The EU and the Transformation of Cyprus PDF
Best war & peace books
Nations infrequently disappear off the map. within the twentieth century, just a couple of international locations shared this destiny with Yugoslavia. The dissolution of Yugoslavia ended in the biggest battle in Europe given that 1945, giant human rights violations and over 100,000 sufferers. Debating the tip of Yugoslavia is much less an try and re-write the dissolution of Yugoslavia, or to supply a special narrative, than to take inventory and give some thought to the scholarship thus far.
Veterans of contemporary conflicts describe their person trips from uncooked recruit to battle resister during this choice of testimonials. even though it isn't good publicized, the lengthy culture of refusing to struggle unjust wars keeps this day in the American army. The tales during this ebook offer an intimate, sincere examine the non-public transformation of every of those youngsters and while represent a robust argument opposed to militarization and never-ending battle.
In 2009, Palestinians venerated the sixtieth anniversary of the Nakba - the main hectic disaster that ever took place them. The booklet explores methods of remembering and commemorating the Nakba, facing the problem in the context of Palestinian oral heritage, "social historical past from below," narratives of reminiscence, and the formation of collective identification.
This paintings attracts on insights from the experimental and theoretical literature on bargaining to supply a much-needed complete therapy of the ignored topic of ways wars finish. In a examine of the way states at the same time salary battle and negotiate peace settlements, Paul R. Pillar argues that battle termination is better understood as a bargaining strategy.
- The BRICs Superpower Challenge: Foreign and Security Policy Analysis
- Power and Love: A Theory and Practice of Social Change
- International Education Exchanges and Intercultural Understanding: Promoting Peace and Global Relations
- Forgiveness in Perspective. (At the Interface Probing the Boundaries)
Additional resources for An Island in Europe: The EU and the Transformation of Cyprus
7. Turkish Cypriot Memorandum addressed to the Council of Ministers of the European Communities in respect of an ‘Application’ for membership by ‘The Republic of Cyprus’, 12 July 1990. 8. Nicos Anastassiades, Chairman of the Greek Cypriot party DISY, 22 March 2001, in Heinz Kramer, ‘The Cyprus Problem and European Security’, Survival, Volume 39, Number 3, 1997, p. 25. 9. 7. 10. In comparison, the whole accession process of Finland took less than three years (March 1992 till January 1995), with the Avis presented in eight months.
The Republic of Cyprus does not consider those alien persons, who have settled illegally and without permission in the areas under control of the Turkish forces, as legitimate claimants to Cypriot citizenship14 and thus they do not have access to EU citizenship via the citizenship laws of the Republic of Cyprus. 16 On the other hand, it also critically important to examine how the rights attached to Union citizenship17 could be exercised in an area where the application of the acquis is suspended.
Particularly because no danger was emanating from Cyprus in terms of the ‘Southern Threat’: the island was westoriented and politically stable on both sides of the island, despite the THE POLITICS OF ACCESSION 25 division. Finding a coherent approach to balancing the conflicting interests in the confused Cyprus situation was very delicate. From an historical viewpoint it is interesting to note that apart from a number of declarations and resolutions, the Community has never played an important role in the dispute nor ever suggested a concrete plan for its solution.