By Graham M. Schweig
The Bhagavad Gita is frequently considered as the Bible of India. With a gripping tale and deeply compelling message, it truly is certainly probably the most well known sacred texts of Asia and, in addition to the Bible and the Qur'an, the most vital holy scriptures on the earth.
Part of an historic Hindu epic poem, the discussion of the Bhagavad Gita occurs on a battlefield, the place a conflict for the ownership of a North Indian country is ready to occur among noble households comparable by way of blood. The epic's hero, younger Prince Arjuna, is torn among his responsibility as a warrior and his revulsion on the considered his brothers and cousins killing one another over regulate of the area. Frozen by way of this moral obstacle, he debates the massive questions of existence and dying with the perfect Hindu deity Krishna, cleverly disguised as his charioteer. by way of the top of the tale, jap ideals approximately mortality and reincarnation, the imaginative and prescient and perform of yoga, the Indian social order and its obligations, relations loyalty, religious wisdom, and the loftiest goals of the human center are explored intensive. Explaining the very objective of existence and life, this vintage has stood the try out of twenty-three centuries. it's offered right here in a completely exact, illuminating, and gorgeous translation that's certain to turn into the traditional for our day.
Read or Download Bhagavad Gita: The Beloved Lord's Secret Love Song PDF
Similar hinduism books
This publication deals the 1st released translation of the contemplative handbook Virupaksapancasika written circa the 12th century CE, and the remark on it, Vivrti by means of Vidyacakravartin. those past due works from the Pratyabhijna culture of monistic and tantric Kashmiri Saiva philosophy concentrate on capability to deindividualize and reveal the primordial, divine crucial natures of the human ego and body-sense.
Making experience Of: death and demise is an inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary study venture which seeks to interact in artistic and cutting edge dialogues in concentrating on the hyperlinks among dwelling and demise, and a few of the contradictions and paradoxes which come up that we seem to settle for with no query.
City stories/ faith A wealthy research of what this Indian urban can let us know in regards to the intersections of faith, civic existence, and worldwide transformation. proven in the course of the 16th century, Bangalore has turn into in our day a middle for high-technology examine and creation, the recent "Silicon Valley" of India, with a metropolitan inhabitants coming near near six million.
The Saint within the Banyan Tree is a nuanced and traditionally persuasive exploration of Christianity’s awesome trajectory as a social and cultural strength in southern India. beginning within the 17th century, while the faith used to be built-in into Tamil associations of caste and well known religiosity, this learn strikes into the 20th century, whilst Christianity turned an unforeseen resource of radical transformation for the country’s untouchables’ (dalits).
- Elements of Hindu Iconography 1
- Kingship and Colonialism in India’s Deccan 1850–1948
- The Hindu World
- Beyond Turk and Hindu: Rethinking Religious Identities in Islamicate South Asia
Extra resources for Bhagavad Gita: The Beloved Lord's Secret Love Song
18. Even the great sage Rishyashringa, son of Mrigi, became a victim of worldly singing, dancing and musical entertainment, and, as a result, became just like a pet animal. Commentary The story of King Mrigi is retold in the Mahabharata. Briefly, the king raised his son, Rishyashringa, to have boy-like innocence, never touching a woman and avoiding all the usual shackles of material life. In much the same way that the Buddha was kept in his kingdom as a youth, just to protect him from the outside world, Rishyashringa became a powerful yogi, because his father sheltered him and kept him pure.
2) You aspire for something, you do achieve it, but it does not live up to your expectations. This also causes misery. (3) You aspire for something, you achieve it, and it lives up to your expectations. But you lose it after some time. Thus, due to the temporary nature of the material world, all mundane enjoyment will ultimately lead to misery. Not so for spiritual pleasure, which is eternal and unending. Those souls who are blessed with this variety of happiness, because of spiritual practice and the mercy of the Lord, want nothing more than to share it with others.
Being eager—if even on a subliminal level—for attention and ego-gratification, such a foolish man loses his intelligence and causes his own undoing, just like the moth who rushes into a blazing fire. 9. Instead, a saintly person avoids such material interests and, even in terms of eating, accepts only enough food to keep body and soul together. He also goes door-to-door, begging little morsels of food from each family. In this way, he should be like the honeybee, who goes from flower to flower.